You may not realise it, but this is an important moment.
Not only is this my first blog, it is also the start of a guided tour - hopefully lasting a few weeks and led by me - through the redesign of the Birmingham Post.
Led by my editor, Marc Reeves, designer Terry Watson and me - the Executive Editor of the paper - have now produced a 24-page dummy of how the Post looks in its historic change from broadsheet to compact (I don't like the word 'tabloid').
When I can figure out how the blogosphere works, I will add images from our work and talk you through how each bit was decided upon. Trust me, some were very easy and some took far too much time!
I hope it will appeal to any design geeks out there, but also to readers with as much passion for the Post as I have.
It should show that changing our newspaper is a task not taken lightly. It involves many hours of discussion, design and redesign until we have come up with something to be very proud of.
But there will certainly be lots of fonts, kerns, squeezes, swatches and rules to keep us all busy!
Search the site
- Gordon Brown
- David Cameron
- birmingham city council
- Birmingham Council
- Mike Whitby
- Liam Byrne
- Nick Clegg
- Liberal Democrats
- Tom Watson
- Ed Miliband
- John Hemming
- birmingham post
- phone hacking
- Birmingham City Council
- Gisela Stuart
- credit crunch
- Eric Pickles
- local enterprise partnerships
- Diamond Jubilee - who's responsible for that then?
- Capita, G4S and BT among police partnership/privatisation bidders - full list published
- So are West Midlands Police's partnership/"privatisation" plans now about saving money?
- Commons will consider whether to proceed against News International executives for "contempt" - full motion published
- West Midlands Police set to continue with private partnership plans despite delay
- Exposing the Nature of Birmingham and the Black Country
- Mayor argument continues despite poll defeat as interest grows in "metro mayor" idea
- I'm not convinced by poll predicting defeat for Birmingham's mayor referendum
- Planning Professor at Borsetshire City University slams planning process for Mega Dairy at Home Farm
- Sion Simon: I oppose ban on sitting MPs becoming mayors (but they should pay for by-elections)
- Crucifixion, chocolate eggs and Easter bunnies
- Liam Byrne mayor bid backed by Mandelson, Darling, David Miliband and maybe Ed too
- The NPPF: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
- JCB chair Anthony Bamford enjoys dinner at Number 10 following donations of £450,000
- Yes or no to a mayor? Invitiation to hear the Minister in charge and take part in a debate in Birmingham
- Vince Cable still wants a mansion tax
- David Cameron Is this the best way to make good policy?
- Dudley workers to be paid less than Birmingham, under George Osborne's local pay (not regional pay) plans
- Headache for Ed Miliband as Labour orders Gisela Stuart to quit the Commons if she becomes mayoral candidate
- Lib Dem MP John Hemming uses spam filter to stop NHS protest emails
- Digby Jones calls for "yes" to a mayor vote in YouTube plea
- Education - I don't believe it!
- Cap business rates say MPs - another tax battle for the Chancellor
- Yes to a Birmingham Mayor campaign asks business to donate "on behalf of named staff, friends and family"
- Department for Transport fails to spend £1 billion, has to give half back to the Treasury
- Whither the West Midlands 3: What sort of Localism do you want?
- New ways of following politics news from the Birmingham Post & Mail
- Nick Booth receives Big Society reward for Birmingham bloggers, as Cameron praises Social Media Surgeries
- Government Minister Greg Clark urges Birmingham to vote "yes" to a directly-elected mayor, to fight for the city at home and abroad
- John Bercow tells Aidan Burley to shut up during clash with Ian Austin over Nazi-themed stag do
Latest Birmingham Post Business blog
Birmingham Post staff and guest bloggers from Birmingham and the midlands inform and entertain on all business matters.
Latest Birmingham Post Lifestyle blog
Birmingham Post staff and guest bloggers from the midlands give you the lowdown on what's happening in your region and some musings on culture in the UK and beyond.
Latest Birmingham Post Science blog
Birmingham Post staff and guest bloggers from Birmingham and the midlands inform and entertain on all science matters.
Latest Birmingham Post Sport blog
Birmingham Post staff and guest bloggers from Birmingham and the midlands inform and entertain on all sporting matters.
Keep up to date
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008
- October 2008
- September 2008
- August 2008
- July 2008
- June 2008
- May 2008
- April 2008
- March 2008
- February 2008